The National Talent Search Examination is one of the most prestigious scholarship examinations in India. The examination aims to identify talented students across the country and award them with a scholarship program so that they can pursue further studies. The examination is conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).In this article, we will provide you with the detailed NTSE Syllabus 2024.
Table of Contents
NTSE Syllabus 2024
The students are identified through a two-tier examination process i.e. Stage I and Stage II. Only students clearing the stage 1 exam are allowed to sit for the stage 2 examination. So, students must prepare hard for the exam and should be familiar with the NTSE Syllabus to score good marks in the exam.
- Stage I: It is conducted by different states and union territories in India. It is a state-level examination.
- Stage II: It is conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). It is a national-level examination.
NTSE Exam Pattern
The questions in the exam are multiple-choice questions. The exam pattern for NTSE is the same for both stage 1 and stage 2. The exam consists of three tests:
- Mental Ability Test (MAT) – Test a student’s ability to problem-solving and reasoning skills.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) – Contains questions from sections like Maths, Science, Geography, History, Political Science & Economics.
The detailed NTSE Exam Pattern is given in the table mentioned below.
|Total no. of Questions
|Mental Ability Test (MAT)
|Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
- 1 mark is awarded for every correct answer for both stages 1 and 2.
- There will be no negative marking.
NTSE Exam Syllabus
The NTSE exam syllabus is one of the most important components to prepare for the exam. The NTSE Syllabus (NTSE stage 1 syllabus and stage 2 syllabus) is provided here so that students can prepare for the exam in a better way. The NTSE Exam is conducted for students studying in Class 10. Only 10th-standard students (below 18 years of age) are eligible to appear for the examination.
The NTSE syllabus for the subjects Mathematics, English, General Knowledge, Mental Ability, Science, and Social Science is given in the table mentioned below.
|Direct & inverse variation
|Percentage & its Application
|Simple interest & Compound interest
|Playing with Numbers
|Square Root & Cube Root
|Surface Areas and Volumes
|Acid Bases and Salt
|Cellular Level of Organisation
|Carbon and its Compounds
|Fibres and Plastics
|Diversity in Living Organisms
|Metals & Non Metals
|Heredity and Evolution
|Food Production & Management
|Heredity and Evolution
|Light and Sound
|Magnetism & Electricity at Work
|Periodic Classification of Elements
|Motion and Force
|Periodic Classification of Elements
|Plant and Animal Nutrition
|Physical and Chemical Changes
|Work and energy
|Structure of Atom
|Source of Energy
|Some Common Diseases
Social Science Syllabus
|Social Science Syllabus
|Culture, Science and Literature
|Diversity and Livelihood
|Indian Freedom Struggle
|Internal Structure of the Earth and Rocks
|Jainism, Buddhism and Conquerors from Distant Lands
|Major Domains and Landforms
|Medieval Architecture and Culture
|Nationalism in Various Countries
|New Empires and Kingdoms
|Popular Movements and Social Reforms
|Resources and Development
|The Delhi Sultanate
|UN and International Agencies
|Democracy and Elections
|Early Medieval Period
|Eighteenth Century Political Formation
|India and its Neighbors
|Indus Valley Civilization
|Introduction and Sources of Ancient Indian History
|Local and State Government
|Maps and Globe
|Motion of the Earth
|Our Country – India
|The Mughal Empire
|Mental Ability Syllabus
|Alphabet and Number Test
|Calendar, Time and Clock
|Analogy (Non Verbal)
|Ranking and Arrangements
|Water and Mirror Images
|Series (Non – Verbal)
|Figure Partition and Dot Situation
|General Knowledge Syllabus
|Books and Authors
|Awards and Recognitions
|One word substitution
|Rearrangement of Jumbled Words
Students must understand the NTSE syllabus properly before applying for the exam. Stay tuned with Study Rate to get the latest news and notifications on the NTSE exam, along with sample papers, marking schemes, and other exam-related details.
- Understanding Concepts: Build a strong foundation by understanding the basic concepts in Mathematics, Science, and Social Sciences.
- Regular Practice: Regular practice of Mental Ability and problem-solving exercises is essential.
- Mock Tests: Take mock tests to simulate exam conditions and improve time management.
- Current Affairs: Stay updated with current affairs for the Social Sciences section.
- Practice makes perfect: Solve past year NTSE papers and practice problems regularly to test your knowledge, identify weak areas, and improve your time management skills.
- Develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills: Hone your critical thinking and reasoning abilities to tackle challenging questions effectively.
- Focus on accuracy, not just speed: Aim for accurate answers over rushing through questions. Remember, quality over quantity is key.
- Maintain a consistent study schedule: Dedicate regular time for NTSE preparation, incorporating revision and practice sessions into your daily routine.
Benefits of the NTSE Scholarship
- Scholarship: The most immediate benefit is, of course, the financial scholarship. NTSE scholars receive a monthly stipend of Rs. 1250 for Class 11 and 12, which increases to Rs. 2000 per month for undergraduate courses. This can significantly ease the financial burden of education, especially for students from underprivileged backgrounds.
- Additional Scholarships: NTSE scholars are eligible for several other scholarships and fellowships from the central and state governments, as well as from private institutions. This can further reduce the cost of education and provide additional support for pursuing higher studies.
- Direct Admission: Some prestigious colleges and universities reserve seats for NTSE scholars, granting them direct admission without taking entrance exams. This can save valuable time and effort, allowing scholars to focus on their studies.
- Preference in Admissions: Even if a college doesn’t have reserved seats for NTSE scholars, their qualification carries significant weight in the admission process. NTSE scholars often receive preference over other applicants, increasing their chances of getting into top institutions.
- Discounts on Study Materials: Many coaching institutes and book publishers offer discounts on study materials and preparation courses to NTSE scholars. This can help them save money on essential resources for academic success.
By diligently following the NTSE syllabus, incorporating these tips, and utilizing available resources, you can confidently embark on your journey toward NTSE success. Remember, consistent effort, focused preparation and a strategic approach are your keys to unlocking the door to academic excellence and scholarship opportunities. So, buckle down, explore the syllabus, and conquer the NTSE with determination!
How to effectively prepare for NTSE Syllabus 2024?
To prepare for NTSE, create a study schedule, focus on weak areas, and solve previous years’ papers. Additionally, seek guidance from mentors or join a coaching institute.
Are there any recommended study materials for NTSE preparation?
Numerous books and online resources cater to NTSE preparation. Some popular choices include NCERT books, RS Aggarwal’s books for Mathematics, and Lucent’s General Knowledge.
What is the significance of solving sample papers?
Solving sample papers enhances time management and familiarizes candidates with the exam pattern. It also helps identify weak areas that require more attention.